Incredible things happened in 2016. It marked the rise of an app that would become the fastest-growing social media platform ever – TikTok. Originally known as Douyin in China, TikTok quickly gained popularity globally. In just under four years, it has amassed over 3 billion downloads and reached one-third of all social media users worldwide.
This article will provide you with a roundup of the most newsworthy and jaw-dropping statistics about this social media sensation. From the number of TikTok users to its user growth rate history, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive right in!
TikTok Statistics (Editors Picks)
Let’s start with some of the most fascinating TikTok statistics:
- TikTok active users: TikTok currently has 1 billion monthly active users, making it one of the most popular social media platforms globally.
- Market penetration: Out of 4.8 billion internet users worldwide, 20.83% use TikTok, showcasing its widespread popularity.
- Number of downloads: TikTok has been downloaded 3 billion times and was the most downloaded non-game app in the first half of 2021, with 383 million installs from January to June 2021 alone.
- Overtaking competition: Despite being released in 2016, TikTok has surpassed Twitter, Telegram, Reddit, Pinterest, and Snapchat in monthly active users, securing the 7th rank among social media apps in 2021.
- Company valuation: TikTok’s parent company, Bytedance, reached a valuation of $280 billion in August 2021, solidifying its position as the world’s most valuable startup.
- User growth rate: Between January 2018 and July 2020, TikTok experienced a staggering 1157.76% increase in its global user base. The U.S. saw a 787.86% user growth rate during the same period, with India contributing the most to TikTok’s installs, garnering 611 million downloads to date.
- Engagement: TikTok reigns as the most engaging social media app, with an average session length of 10.85 minutes. In 2019 alone, users spent a staggering 68 billion hours on the platform.
- Influencer earnings: TikTok creators, especially those in categories like entertainment, dance, pranks, fitness/sports, and DIY, can have up to 100 million followers and earn up to $5 million per year.
- U.S. market penetration: Monthly U.S. TikTok users have surpassed 100 million, accounting for 37.36% of America’s 267.6 million mobile internet users. This represents an 800% increase in just 20 months.
- U.S. demographics: While TikTok’s penetration is highest among Generation Z in the U.S., with 47.4% of active users aged between 10 and 29, there has been a 5.5 times increase in American adults using TikTok in the last 18 months. Additionally, there is a 2:1 female to male gender ratio among U.S. TikTok users.
- U.S. average time on the app: Americans aged 18 and over are estimated to have spent 1.43 billion hours on TikTok in March 2020, with an average daily usage of 33 minutes, ranking it second in daily engagement after Facebook.
Now that we’ve covered some incredible statistics let’s delve into the background of how TikTok emerged and its popularity.
When Was TikTok Made?
TikTok, known as Douyin in China, was initially launched in China’s App market in September 2016 by parent company Bytedance. It gained 100 million users within a year. TikTok, the international version, made its debut in September 2017 after the acquisition of a video-sharing startup, Musical.ly. Today, both Douyin and TikTok are available in 141 countries and support 39 languages.
Monthly Number of Active TikTok Users
Now, let’s focus on the number of people using TikTok.
According to parent company Bytedance, TikTok currently boasts 1 billion monthly active users. These figures highlight the extraordinary growth TikTok has achieved since its launch in 2016. Let’s break it down further.
Global TikTok User Penetration Statistics:
- TikTok has 1 billion monthly active users.
- Out of 4.8 billion internet users worldwide, 20.83% use TikTok.
- Out of 4.48 billion active social media users, 22.32% use TikTok regularly.
Despite facing challenges, including threats of a nationwide ban due to security concerns, TikTok has experienced significant growth, especially in the United States.
How Many Americans Use TikTok?
Here’s a closer look at the number of U.S.-specific users:
- By August 2020, the official number of monthly U.S. TikTok users was 100 million, representing an 800% increase from January 2018.
- eMarketer estimates that TikTok has 73.7 million monthly active users in the U.S., with projections reaching 88.7 million by 2024.
- 31.1% of social network users in the U.S. access their TikTok account at least once a month. For comparison, usage penetration in the U.S. for Instagram and Snapchat is 53.9% and 40%, respectively.
- 37.36% of America’s 267.6 million mobile internet users access TikTok at least once a month.
- TikTok has 50 million daily active users in the U.S., equating to 18.68% of Americans with mobile internet users logging in every day.
- TikTok’s Gen Z penetration is high in America, with 37.3% using the platform at least once per month.
- American adults aged 18 and over spent an estimated 1.43 billion hours on TikTok in March 2020, with an average usage of 33 minutes per day, ranking second in daily engagement after Facebook.
These statistics highlight the significant presence TikTok has achieved in the United States, captivating users of all age groups.
Official Number of TikTok Downloads
Let’s explore the number of times TikTok has been downloaded.
How Many Downloads Does TikTok Have (App Store & Google Play)
According to SensorTower estimates, TikTok has surpassed 3 billion downloads, making it the most downloaded app in both Q1 and Q2 of 2021. This accomplishment is groundbreaking, as TikTok is the first app outside of Facebook to achieve this milestone.
Worldwide TikTok Download Statistics:
- Since its launch in 2016, TikTok has been downloaded a whopping 3 billion times, with 383 million installs in the first half of 2021.
- From Q1 2020 through Q2 2021, TikTok gained an incredible 1.36 billion downloads.
- In March 2020, TikTok broke records for highest quarter-over-quarter growth in spending, reaching $535 million in Q2 2021 alone. It’s important to note that SensorTower’s estimates regarding TikTok downloads include data from Douyin on iOS in China and exclude third-party Android stores.
TikTok’s popularity is undeniable, and its massive number of downloads highlights its global appeal.
Top TikTok Downloads by Country (USA/China/Global)
Let’s take a closer look at the countries driving TikTok’s success:
- TikTok is available in 141 out of 155 countries and supports 39 languages.
- India leads the way in TikTok installs, with 611 million downloads to date, accounting for one-third of all smartphone users in India.
- In 2019, 43.76% of the 738 million global TikTok installs came from India, totaling 323 million downloads.
- China follows closely behind with 196.6 million downloads for Douyin to date, excluding third-party installs.
- The United States ranks third in TikTok downloads, accumulating 165 million installs since its launch, with Canada and the UK securing the fourth and fifth positions, respectively.
TikTok’s vast global reach and popularity in countries like India and the United States have contributed significantly to its success.
TikTok User Growth Rate Statistics
Now, let’s explore TikTok’s remarkable user growth rate.
U.S. & Global Monthly Active User Growth Rates
According to parent company Bytedance, TikTok’s global monthly users have experienced an incredible 1,157.76% growth since January 2018, when it had 54.7 million users. In the U.S., the app’s user base has witnessed a 787.86% increase during the same period, growing from 11.2 million to over 100 million active users.
Official Monthly Active User Growth (Worldwide & USA Only)
We’ll now delve into the official monthly active user growth for both the worldwide and U.S. markets:
- Sep 2017: TikTok international launch.
- Jan 2018: 54,793,729 monthly users.
- Dec-18: 271,188,301 (394.9% increase).
- Dec-19: 507,552,660 (87.2% increase).
- Jul-20: 689,174,209 (35.8% increase).
- Sep-21: More than 1 billion users (45.1% increase).
- Sep 2017: TikTok international launch.
- Jan 2018: 11,262,970 monthly users.
- Feb 2019: 26,739,143 (137.4% increase).
- Oct 2019: 39,897,768 (19.2% increase).
- Jun 2020: 91,937,040 (130.4% increase).
- Aug 2020: More than 100 million.
These figures demonstrate TikTok’s incredible growth trajectory, surpassing established social media platforms such as Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest, and Snapchat in terms of monthly active users.
TikTok Revenue Growth & How Much It’s Worth
Let’s delve into TikTok’s revenue growth and its overall value:
- TikTok generated a significant revenue increase, reaching $17 billion in 2019, more than double the previous year’s $7.4 billion.
- In under four years since its launch, TikTok’s parent company, Bytedance, valued the app at $50 billion in July 2020.
- Rumored to be valued between $110-$180 billion, Bytedance has become the world’s most valuable startup.
- TikTok’s revenue continued to soar, totaling $17 billion in 2019, up from $7.4 billion the previous year.
These figures showcase the remarkable success TikTok has achieved in terms of revenue and its overall value.
Most Used Social Media Sites
Let’s take a look at TikTok’s ranking among the most used social media sites:
Where Does TikTok Rank in Social Media Popularity?
As of September 2021, TikTok has risen to become the seventh-ranked social network worldwide, with a staggering 1 billion active users.
These rankings further exemplify TikTok’s meteoric rise in the social media landscape.
Key TikTok User Demographics
Now, let’s explore some key demographic insights about TikTok users.
How Much Time Do People Spend on TikTok?
Globally, the average time spent on TikTok per day is 52 minutes, with 90% of users accessing the platform daily. TikTok’s average session time of 10.85 minutes positions it as the most engaging social media app available. In the U.S., TikTok users spend an average of 33 minutes per day on the app.
Engagement: Average Time Spent on TikTok
Here are some engagement statistics that highlight TikTok’s popularity:
- The average time spent on TikTok per day worldwide is 52 minutes.
- Time spent on TikTok has skyrocketed, with a 210% year-over-year increase in engagement time on the app in 2019.
- Users spent an estimated 68 billion hours on TikTok in 2019.
Engagement: TikTok User Interaction Statistics
Let’s delve deeper into user engagement on TikTok:
- TikTok ranks as the most engaging social media app, with an average session length of 10.85 minutes, surpassing Pinterest’s 5.06 minutes, which ranks second in engagement.
- The average person in the United States opens the TikTok app eight times a day.
- TikTok’s engagement in the U.S. increased by a staggering 1,533% between 2017 and September 2019. By comparison, Facebook declined by 26%, while Instagram only saw a 6% increase.
- TikTok boasts an engagement rate of 5.30% on accounts with 100,000+ followers, surpassing Instagram’s 1.10% and Twitter’s 0.30%.
- A recent study conducted by Influencer Marketing Hub revealed that TikTok user profiles with 100,000+ followers have the highest engagement rate.
These statistics demonstrate TikTok’s exceptional user engagement, further establishing its position as a leading social media app.
Demographics: U.S. TikTok Users by Age
Let’s explore the age distribution of TikTok users:
- 25% of TikTok’s active U.S. users are aged between 10 and 19.
- 22.4% of TikTok’s active U.S. users are aged between 20 and 29.
- 21.7% of TikTok’s active U.S. users are aged between 30 and 39.
- 20.3% of TikTok’s active U.S. users are aged between 40 and 49.
- 11% of TikTok’s active U.S. users are aged 50 and above.
While TikTok’s penetration is highest among Generation Z, there has been rapid growth in American adults using TikTok. Additionally, there is a higher proportion of female users compared to male users, with a 2:1 ratio in the United States.
These demographic insights shed light on TikTok’s diverse user base and its appeal to various age groups.
Top TikTok Users, Categories & Creator Earnings
Let’s conclude by exploring the top TikTok users, content categories, and creator earnings.
The Most Followed TikTok User
The most-followed TikTok user is Charli D’Amelio, who currently has over 125 million followers, a 37.72% increase since October 2020.
Top 10 Popular TikTok Users/Channel Creators
Here’s a list of the top 10 TikTok users with their follower numbers:
- Charli D’Amelio – 125 million followers
- Addison Rae – 82.2 million followers
- Bella Poarch – 78 million followers
- Zach King – 57.3 million followers
- TikTok – 50.5 million followers
- TikTok Tips – 50.5 million followers
- Loren Gray – 50.5 million followers
- Khaby Lame – 50.3 million followers
- Spencer Polanco Knight – 50.2 million followers
- TikTok Music – 50.1 million followers
These TikTok users have achieved remarkable success, capturing the attention of millions of followers.
TikTok User Earnings
TikTok creators with millions of followers have the potential to earn significant incomes. Some creators have up to 100 million followers and earn up to $5 million per year. Popular content categories on TikTok include entertainment, dance, pranks, fitness/sports, and DIY.
Top 10 TikTok Content Categories
Let’s explore the top content categories on TikTok:
- Dance & Choreography
- Comedy & Entertainment
- Lip-Syncing & Acting
- Pets & Animals
- Fashion & Beauty
- Food & Drink
- Fitness & Sports
- DIY & Crafts
- Travel & Adventure
- Challenges & Stunts
These content categories provide a glimpse into the diverse range of content available on TikTok.
10 Best TikTok Hashtags
For those looking to boost engagement, here are the top 10 trending TikTok hashtags:
These hashtags can help users increase their visibility and engagement on TikTok.
Now that we’ve covered a wealth of statistics about TikTok let’s consider its future and your thoughts on its sustainability.
Do you think TikTok’s growth is sustainable? What else would you like to see in this roundup? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Sources: CNBC, Statista, Backlinko, BankMyCell, WorldoMeters, SmartInsights, InfluencerMarketingHub, Mediakix, TikTok, AppAnnie, Reuters, Bloomberg, Techcrunch, Alexa, Hootsuite, CNBC, Social Blade, Business of Apps, Builtvisible