Are you considering a move to a different country or simply want access to a wider range of products available on Amazon? If so, you may be wondering how to change your country on Amazon. Not to worry, though—I’ve got you covered!
Buying International Products via Amazon
Amazon is the go-to platform for purchasing international products. With Amazon’s International Shopping experience, you can easily browse, shop, and ship over 45 million products to more than a hundred countries worldwide. This feature provides transparent pricing, shipping costs, and import duty estimates, making international shopping a breeze.
Finding Your Amazon Account Country
Even if you move to a new country, your Amazon account will remain registered in your home country by default. However, there are ways to determine the country associated with your Amazon account.
The quickest method is through the Amazon Shopping app on your smartphone. Simply check the URL in the search bar at the top of the page. For instance, if the URL is Amazon.ca, that indicates your country setting is Canada.
Here are a few examples of Amazon country settings:
- Amazon.com.au – Australia
- Amazon.ca – Canada
- Amazon.eg – Egypt
- Amazon.de – Germany
- Amazon.in – India
- Amazon.co.jp – Japan
- Amazon.nl – the Netherlands
- Amazon.sa – Saudi Arabia
- Amazon.sg – Singapore
- Amazon.se – Sweden
- Amazon.ae – the United Arab Emirates
- Amazon.co.uk – United Kingdom (UK)
- Amazon.com – United States of America (USA)
Please note that these examples may vary depending on your Amazon app. Therefore, always make sure to select the appropriate country before making any purchases.
Changing Country Settings on the Amazon App
To shop from a specific country, you need to adjust the country setting on your Amazon account. The Amazon app allows you to switch between any country where Amazon operates. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your mobile device.
- Log in using your account details.
- Tap on the hamburger icon (the three vertical lines) in the top-left corner of the app to access the menu.
- Within the menu, locate the Settings option, which will have the flag of your chosen country next to it. Tap on the icon and select Country & Language from the following screen.
- Under the Country/Region tab, choose your preferred country.
- Save your changes by clicking Done.
Once you’ve successfully made the selection, you’ll be able to see the country domains for Amazon shopping in each region. This way, you can purchase items from any country seamlessly.
Changing Country Settings on a Web Browser
If you prefer to change your Amazon country settings on a web browser, follow these steps:
- Visit the Amazon website and log in to your account.
- After logging in, select Content & Devices.
- In the Preferences tab, find the Country/Region Settings menu and choose Change.
- Provide information about your new chosen country of residence.
- Once done, click Update to save the changes.
You can check your current country setting under the Region settings if your Amazon account’s country or region has been successfully updated. However, keep in mind that there may be delivery restrictions and additional taxes when shopping from a different country. Always familiarize yourself with the local laws and Amazon’s shipping policies beforehand.
Changing the Language on Your Amazon App
By default, Amazon Shopping uses English as the primary language in most countries. Therefore, even if you change your Amazon app’s country settings from the United States to the United Kingdom, for example, the app will still display in English. If you wish to modify the language settings, follow these steps:
- Open the Amazon app and access the menu button navigation bar.
- Under Settings, select Country & Language.
- Choose a language from the new window. You can select any language supported by Amazon Shopping in your country.
- Save your changes.
Keep in mind that not all languages are available in every location. Therefore, ensure that you’ve selected the appropriate country before making any language modifications on the Amazon Shopping app.
Why Change Your Default Country and Language on Amazon?
Changing your country settings in the Amazon app or browser can provide various advantages. For example, you can access content in different languages or take advantage of discounts offered by regional Amazon vendors. Moreover, if these vendors offer overseas shipping, you can purchase products from them.
However, it’s important to note that occasional delivery restrictions and extra taxes may apply. Therefore, always check the local laws and Amazon’s shipping policies before making purchases from a different country.
What Happens When You Change Your Amazon Country Settings?
When you switch your Amazon account to another country, your digital content will be transferred to the new version. Additionally, you can continue buying items from the Kindle Store using your own country’s currency.
As long as you have a valid billing address in the previous country, you can switch your account back at any time. However, opening a new account instead of transferring the existing one will result in separate sets of login information, and your previous purchases will not be shared between the accounts.
Transferring Your Amazon Account to Another Country
To switch your Amazon account from your current country to another, follow these simple steps:
- Click on Preferences under Manage Your Content & Devices.
- Select Change under Country Settings.
- After choosing or entering your address, click Update.
- If you qualify to buy digital content from another country, follow the on-screen prompts to learn more about the process.
- Choose to transfer your account to complete the process.
Should you change your mind, you can cancel the transfer by reversing the steps mentioned above.
What’s Transferred When You Change Your Amazon Country Settings?
After successfully changing your Amazon account, your Kindle content, apps and games, and digital music will all be accessible via the Manage Your Content and Devices page.
When you wirelessly connect your device, your Fire Tablet or Kindle devices associated with your account will update the Kindle Store accordingly, and your compatible content will be available from the Cloud.
Here’s what you can transfer:
- Kindle Books
- Audible Audiobooks
- Amazon Drive Files
- Amazon Music
- Amazon Prime Account Membership and Subscriptions for Prime Video, Amazon Music, and the Appstore
Please note that the availability, pricing, and renewal periods of Amazon Music may vary depending on your location.
However, there are a few things you cannot transfer:
- One-click payment methods and billing information: You will need to input your billing address and 1-Click payment method again on the Manage Your Content and Devices or Your Account page.
- Rented or purchased Amazon Prime Video titles
- Appstore games and apps: Once you’ve moved your account, you won’t have access to titles you’ve already purchased.
- Books borrowed through Prime Reading: Your credits won’t be deducted when you return books borrowed through Amazon Prime automatically.
- Kindle Unlimited: Your Kindle Unlimited subscription will be terminated, and all borrowed books and magazines through the service will be automatically returned.
- Amazon Kids or Amazon Kids+: Your Amazon Kids+ membership will be terminated immediately.
- Newsstand and Magazine Subscriptions from the Kindle Store: All active newsstand and magazine subscriptions will be canceled. However, you will receive a prorated refund for any unused months or issues that have been fully paid. If your subscription is still active in the new country, it will be reactivated with a 14-day free trial. After switching accounts, you won’t be able to access previous issues.
- Amazon Household and Family Library Profiles: Access to Amazon Household and Family Library profiles will be lost, and you won’t be eligible to join any household for 180 days.
- Amazon Gift Card or Promotional Balances: If you decide to transfer your account back, balances on your promotional cards and Amazon Gift Cards cannot be transferred. The remaining funds will still be accessible on your initial or previous Amazon marketplace account.
Switching your country on the Amazon app and browser can greatly enhance your shopping experience, especially if you’re living abroad. With the ability to search Amazon in your preferred language, you can enjoy a seamless shopping journey.
I hope this guide has provided you with all the information you need to change your country on the Amazon App and Browser. Remember, your country isn’t the only thing you can change on Amazon—did you know you can also modify the email address associated with your Amazon account?