Once you have established your channel and built a strong following, it becomes natural to start considering how to achieve YouTube verification. The YouTube verification badge adds credibility to your account and confirms that you are indeed who you claim to be. Not everyone is eligible for this badge, but for those who are, it is an important milestone in their YouTube journey. Let’s take a look at everything you need to know to get verified.
Understanding YouTube Verification
YouTube verification encompasses two separate aspects. The first type involves a simple phone verification process where you receive a code on your phone. This step ensures that you are a genuine person and not a bot. This verification is available to everyone and provides access to a few additional YouTube features such as the ability to upload videos longer than 15 minutes, use custom thumbnails, live stream on YouTube, and appeal Content ID claims.
To check if your account is verified, go to “Settings > Account” and click on “Channel status and features.” If your account is verified, you will see “Enabled” in green next to “Features that require phone verification.”
The term “YouTube verification” is also used to refer to the official YouTube channel verification badge, which appears as a gray check mark or music note. This badge adds credibility to your channel, indicating that it is the official channel of a creator, artist, brand, or public figure. Additionally, it helps mitigate the risks associated with impostors.
Steps to Verify Your YouTube Account
Note: To obtain simple phone verification that unlocks extra features, ensure that you are logged into YouTube and visit YouTube.com/verify.
To acquire an official YouTube verification badge, follow these four steps:
Step 1. Visit the Application Page
Go to the YouTube channel verification application page. If your channel is eligible, you will see the application form. If not, you will receive a message directing you to return when you have reached 100K subscribers.
(Note: If you currently have less than 100,000 subscribers, don’t worry! Read on for tips on reaching that milestone and establishing credibility without a YouTube verification badge.)
Step 2. Complete the Form
Fill out the application form, providing your channel name and ID. If you don’t know your channel ID, you can find it by clicking the link below the channel ID box in the form or in your YouTube account settings under “Settings > Advanced settings.”
Once you have completed the form, click “Submit.”
Step 3. Wait
Now, you will need to wait while YouTube verifies your account, a process that can take up to a couple of weeks. YouTube will evaluate various factors to verify your identity, such as the age of your channel. You may be asked to provide additional information or documentation to substantiate your legitimacy.
Step 4. Maintain Your Verification
After obtaining your coveted badge, you must take steps to ensure that you don’t lose your verification status.
a. Follow the Terms of Service and Community Guidelines
It is crucial to adhere to YouTube’s Terms of Service and Community Guidelines to retain your verification badge. Even if you have met all the criteria and acquired the badge, YouTube can revoke it if you violate their guidelines.
b. Avoid Changing Your Channel Name Frequently
Changing your channel name will result in the loss of your verification badge. While it is possible to reapply for verification using the new name, it is not advisable to change your name regularly since the badge’s purpose is to confirm your identity.
Eligibility for the YouTube Verification Badge
To be eligible for the YouTube channel verification badge, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- Have at least 100,000 subscribers. If you need assistance in attaining this goal, refer to our blog post on how to increase your YouTube subscribers.
- Be authentic. YouTube mandates that your channel represents the real creator, brand, or entity.
- Have an active, public, and complete channel. This entails having a channel banner, description, profile image, and uploading content regularly.
It is worth noting that you may come across channels with a verification badge that have fewer than 100,000 subscribers. This can happen due to previous verification requirements or if YouTube proactively verifies a channel that enjoys recognition outside of YouTube.
Different eligibility requirements apply for the Official Artist Channel music note verification badge:
- Represent a single artist or band.
- Feature at least one official music video on YouTube distributed by a recognized music distributor or label.
- Meet one or more of the following conditions:
- Work with a YouTube Partner Manager or belong to a label network that collaborates with a Partner Manager.
- Participate in the YouTube Partner Program.
- Have your music distributed by a music partner listed in the YouTube Services Directory for Music Partners.
Enhancing Your Channel’s Credibility without a YouTube Verification Badge
Even if you are not yet eligible for YouTube verification, there are steps you can take to show that your YouTube account is the official one for your brand. Consider the following:
- Choose an appropriate channel name. Opt for your brand name or, if you are a creator, select a unique name that helps you stand out from the competition.
- Utilize a recognizable profile picture. This image appears in search results and on your channel, assisting YouTube users in identifying your account.
- Take advantage of YouTube’s customization options to manage your channel layout, banner image, and watermark. These options enhance your credibility.
- Develop a distinctive and consistent YouTube aesthetic. Your videos should have a consistent style that is instantly recognizable on your channel and as a collective body of work.
- Engage with your followers. Respond to comments to demonstrate that you are genuinely interested in your viewers’ opinions and feedback.
- Report impostors. If someone is impersonating your channel, report them to YouTube by visiting the imposter’s channel page, clicking “About,” and selecting the “Report flag.”
Remember, YouTube verification is not necessary for earning money on the platform. If you want access to YouTube’s monetization options and support teams, you should apply for the YouTube Partner Program. The eligibility requirements for this program are much more attainable. You need to:
- Have 1,000 subscribers.
- Accumulate 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months.
- Maintain a good standing without any policy violations.
- Enable two-step verification.
- Comply with YouTube’s monetization policies.
- Reside in a country where the program is available.
- Have a linked AdSense account.
You can find more details in our post on how to monetize your YouTube channel.
So, start the journey to YouTube verification today! With Hootsuite, you can easily schedule and promote your YouTube videos across multiple social media platforms from one convenient dashboard. Give it a try for free!