If you think TikTok is solely for your mobile device, think again! Believe it or not, you can actually explore the world of TikTok right on your desktop. Not only can you upload videos, but you can also enjoy all the features you love from the mobile app. Intrigued? Keep reading for an easy guide on how to get started.
Exploring TikTok on Desktop
TikTok on desktop offers the same fantastic features as its mobile counterpart, albeit with a different interface. On your phone, you’re directed to the For You Page (FYP), where viral video content reigns supreme. Other features include Search, Discover, Profile, Inbox, and the “Following” view.
Now, on TikTok for desktop, the “Record” button is replaced with a sleek “Upload” button. The left menu view suggests accounts for you to follow, displays your existing followed accounts, and reveals trending hashtags and popular audio. Direct messages even have their own dedicated tab, separate from notifications and alerts.
Uploading TikTok Videos on PC: A Breeze!
Thanks to the release of TikTok’s desktop app, uploading videos on your computer is now a breeze. Simply follow these four steps:
- Download and log in to the app.
- Look for the cloud icon or the “Upload video” button located at the top right of your browser.
- Click “Select a Video to Upload” and choose the file from your computer. Double-click the file to initiate the upload.
- Customize your caption, tag users, and add hashtags while your video uploads.
As an added tip, keep your videos between 30 to 60 seconds in duration. Shorter content tends to have a greater impact on the algorithm’s treatment of your video. Additionally, remember to upload your videos in portrait mode; otherwise, you’ll see unsightly black bars above and below your video.
While the desktop version doesn’t offer certain features like choosing your own music or adding in-video captions, it still allows you to share simple and captivating videos. A potential workaround for accessing these mobile-exclusive features is downloading an Android emulator, but that can involve a bit of trial and error.
Live Streaming on TikTok: PC Edition
Live streaming is a booming industry, much like TikTok itself. Influencers on TikTok with over 10,000 followers can earn up to a staggering $5,000 per post. Combining these two powerful forces allows content creators to both create and earn money. Here’s how you can set up a live stream on TikTok from your PC:
- Download the Streamlabs app.
- Select TikTok from the platform dropdown and sign in to your TikTok account.
- Once logged in, click “Go Live,” and a pop-up screen will appear, prompting you for the stream key and server URL.
- Copy and paste these details into the Streamlabs app. You also have the option to edit the title and cover image before going live.
- When you’re ready, click “Confirm and Go Live.”
Final Thoughts: TikTok for Desktop
TikTok for desktop offers a fantastic alternative for those seeking a bigger screen experience or looking to upload videos directly from their computer files. While many of the mobile features are present in the desktop version, please note that a few restrictions do exist:
- Instead of recording videos directly, you’ll upload them.
- Discover suggested followers, hashtags, and audio on the left menu view.
- For livestreaming access, utilize software like Streamlabs.
- Should you wish to access music and in-video captions, consider downloading an emulator.
Now that you know how to navigate TikTok’s desktop version, unleash your creativity and immerse yourself in the vibrant world of TikTok. Get ready to showcase your talent, connect with others, and have a blast while doing it!