If you’ve been hesitating to join the TikTok phenomenon, you’re not alone. Despite its massive popularity with over a billion users, many major brands are still sitting on the sidelines. Perhaps it’s because TikTok feels a bit intimidating. But fear not, my friend! Creating a TikTok video is actually much easier and more enjoyable than you might think.
To truly understand the magic of TikTok and its potential for your business, the best approach is to jump right in and start creating videos yourself. Don’t worry—the waters of TikTok are warm and inviting. So let’s take a deep dive and explore everything you need to know about making TikTok videos.
Setting Up Your TikTok Account
The first step in your TikTok journey is to create an account. Here’s how:
- Download the TikTok app from the App Store or Google Play onto your smartphone or iPad.
- Open the app and follow the prompts to sign up. Choose how you want to sign up—whether using your phone number or email address.
- Enter your birthday. TikTok has age restrictions in place to ensure community safety.
- Select a username. If you’re a business, it’s a good idea to use the same username across all your social media accounts for easy discoverability. Don’t worry—you can always change it later!
After setting up your account, consider completing your profile by adding a profile photo, a bio, and your name. You can even personalize it further by adding your pronouns and linking your Instagram and YouTube accounts.
Making Your First TikTok Video
Now that you have your TikTok account set up, it’s time to start creating your first video. Follow these steps:
- Tap the “+” sign at the bottom of the screen or tap “Create video” on your profile page.
- Choose whether to use an existing video from your Camera Roll or start recording a new one by tapping the red “Record” button.
- If you’re recording, you can select the duration of your video—whether it’s 15 seconds, 60 seconds, or even up to 10 minutes.
- Trim your clips by tapping “Adjust Clips” on the right-hand menu.
- Add music to your video by tapping the music button at the top of the screen. TikTok provides recommendations based on your video’s content, but you can also search for specific songs or sound effects.
- Enhance your video with effects, stickers, or text by tapping the options on the right-hand menu.
- For videos with dialogue, consider adding captions to improve accessibility.
- Once you’re satisfied with your edits, tap the red “Next” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Add relevant hashtags, tag other users, and adjust settings such as allowing duets or stitches.
- Finally, hit “Post,” and voila! You’ve just created your first TikTok video.
Exploring Advanced TikTok Features
As you become more comfortable with creating TikTok videos, you can experiment with additional features to take your content to the next level. Here are a few exciting options:
Creating TikToks with Multiple Videos
- Tap the “+” sign at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Upload” and choose the videos you want to include. You can upload up to 35 videos or a mixture of photos and videos.
- Rearrange your videos by tapping “Adjust Clip.” You can also add music or sound effects to enhance the viewing experience.
- Spice up your videos with effects, stickers, and text to make them stand out.
- Consider adding a voiceover to provide a narrative or additional context to your videos.
- Add captions, hashtags, and tags to maximize engagement.
- Hit “Post” and start sharing your multi-video masterpiece.
Crafting TikToks with Pictures
- Tap the “+” sign at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Upload” and choose the photos you want to include. You can select up to 35 images, which will play sequentially like a slideshow.
- Enhance your photos with music, effects, stickers, and more.
- Decide whether you want your photos to play in video mode (sequential) or photo mode (slideshow-like).
- Select a song or sound effect to accompany your photos or add a voiceover for a personalized touch.
- Add captions, hashtags, and tags to make your TikTok more engaging.
- Hit “Post” and share your creative photo montage with the world.
Creating 3-Minute TikTok Videos
If you want to create extended TikTok videos, here are three ways to do it:
- Tap the “+” sign to start a new video.
- Swipe to select a 3-minute recording length. You can start and stop recording by tapping the red “Record” button.
- Edit your video as desired—adding effects, music, voiceovers, and more.
Alternatively, you can upload and edit video clips together or upload a pre-edited 3-minute clip using video editing tools or TikTok templates.
Mastering the Art of TikTok
Now that you’ve learned the basics of creating TikTok videos, here are seven additional tips to help you thrive on the platform:
- Use trending songs or audio clips: Music is a key element of TikTok, and incorporating popular sounds can boost your reach and engagement.
- Start strong: Grab your viewers’ attention in the first few seconds. TikTok reveals that the best-performing videos often convey their key message within the first three seconds.
- Add hashtags: Hashtags help organize and discover content on TikTok. Explore trending hashtags in TikTok’s Creative Center or through the app’s search function.
- Consistency is key: Post regularly to build your TikTok presence. TikTok suggests posting 1 to 4 times a day to understand what resonates with your audience.
- Embrace authenticity: TikTok users appreciate raw and authentic content. Don’t aim for perfection—unpolished videos tend to perform better.
- Keep it snappy: While TikTok allows longer videos, shorter videos ranging from 7 to 15 seconds tend to resonate best with viewers.
- Learn the lingo: Familiarize yourself with TikTok’s unique language and trends to connect more effectively with your audience.
These tips will help you create engaging TikTok content and make your mark on the platform. Remember, the key to success on TikTok is to let your creativity flow and have fun!
So what are you waiting for? Take the plunge and start your TikTok journey today. Happy creating!
Note: Discover the magic of Hootsuite, a tool that allows you to schedule and manage your TikTok posts alongside your other social media channels. Try it for free and watch your TikTok presence soar.
Get started with Hootsuite.