The Amazon Fire TV Stick has the power to transform your regular TV into a smart TV. However, it won’t be of much use if your remote isn’t working properly. While your remote should automatically pair with your Fire TV Stick when you set it up for the first time, there are instances when it may lose connection. In this article, we will discuss how to pair an unresponsive remote, pair a replacement remote, and even use your phone as a remote instead.
Pairing an Unresponsive Amazon Fire TV Stick Remote
To pair an unresponsive Amazon Fire TV Stick remote, press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds or until the light at the top of your remote starts blinking rapidly. You will either see an on-screen message or the light on your remote will flash blue three times, indicating that it has been successfully paired.
For optimal results, Amazon recommends pairing your remote within 10 feet of your Fire TV Stick. In some cases, you might need to move even closer to ensure a strong signal.
This method works whether you are trying to pair a remote that was previously paired to your Fire TV Stick or a remote that was paired with a different device. If the first method doesn’t work, you can try resetting your remote and then pairing it again.
Resetting an Amazon Fire Stick Remote
To reset a Fire TV remote, follow these steps:
- Unplug your Fire TV Stick from its power source and wait for 60 seconds.
- Press and hold the Left, Menu, and Back buttons on your remote simultaneously for 12 seconds. If you are using a 1st-generation Amazon Fire TV Stick remote, you only need to press the Menu and Left directional buttons.
- After 5 seconds, remove the batteries from your remote.
- Plug your Fire TV Stick back into the power source and wait for another 60 seconds.
- Put the batteries back into your remote. If you have spare batteries, it’s a good time to replace them.
- Finally, press and hold the Home button on your remote for 10 seconds. For the best results, stand within 10 feet of your Fire TV device during the reset process.
It may take up to a minute for your remote to pair with your Fire TV Stick. Additionally, the remote might require an update, which can take a little longer.
If your current remote is still functional, you can also manually pair a new remote to your Fire TV Stick. Here’s how:
Pairing a Replacement Remote to Your Fire TV
To pair a replacement remote for your Fire TV Stick, follow these steps:
- Press the Home button on your Fire TV Stick remote.
- Open the Settings menu by pressing the right directional button until the gear icon on the right side is highlighted. Then use the down directional button to access the Settings menu. Note that the appearance of the Settings menu may differ if you are running an older version of Fire OS.
- Select “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices”.
- Choose “Amazon Fire TV Remotes”. If you are pairing a third-party remote, select “Other Bluetooth Devices” instead, and then select “Add Bluetooth Devices”. Put your remote in pairing mode and choose it from the list when it appears on the screen.
- Select “Add New Remote”. Your Fire TV Stick will search for discoverable remotes and display them in a list. It’s recommended to pair your remote within 10 feet of your Fire TV Stick for optimal results.
- Press and hold the Home button on your new remote for 10 seconds. Your Fire Stick will recognize the new remote, and it will appear on the screen.
- Finally, press the Select button on your old remote to confirm the pairing. The Select button is located in the middle of the ring at the top of your remote. Please note that the update process for the new remote may take some time, especially when pairing an older remote with a newer Fire TV Stick.
Once your new remote is listed on the screen, you can start using it. Up to 7 remotes can be connected to your Fire Stick. If you have reached the limit, you will need to unpair one of them. To do this, go to the “Controllers & Bluetooth Devices” settings, find the remote you want to unpair, press the menu button with three lines, and then confirm by pressing the Select button.
How to Use Your Phone as a Fire Stick Remote
If you prefer using your phone as a remote, you can do so by following these steps:
- Download and install the Amazon Fire TV app. You can find this app on the Google Play Store for Android devices and the Apple App Store for iPhones and other iOS devices. Make sure to download the app from AMZN Mobile LLC.
- Open the app and select your Fire TV device. The app will attempt to connect to your Fire TV device automatically. If your Fire TV Stick isn’t listed, tap “Set Up New Device”. If you can’t find the list of devices, tap the Remote tab at the bottom of your screen. Note that you might be required to sign in with your Amazon username and password.
- Enter the 4-digit PIN displayed on your TV screen into the app on your phone.
- You can now use your phone as a remote control for your Fire Stick. Alternatively, you can also use the app to pair a new remote by following the earlier instructions.
If none of the above steps worked for you, please check out our guide on how to reset your Amazon Fire TV Stick. Remember that when you buy products or services through the links we provide, we may earn a commission. Your trust and satisfaction are always our top priority.