Where Are Windows Games Saved?
If you enjoy gaming on Windows 10, you have several platforms to choose from. You can find games on the Windows Store, Steam, and other official game download websites. Windows Store and Steam are popular platforms for downloading games on Windows 10.
Now, you might be wondering: where are these games stored? Where does Microsoft Store install games? Where can I find my Steam games?
Don’t worry, we’ll address these questions in this article and shed light on the location of Windows 10 games.
Windows 10 Game Location
Typically, regardless of where you download and install your Windows games, the default location is C: > Program Files > WindowsApps.
However, this folder is hidden by default on your computer. You need to enable the display of hidden folders to access it.
But, when you try to access the Microsoft Store game installation location, you may encounter a warning that says “You don’t currently have permission to access this folder.”
After clicking “Continue,” you may receive another warning: “You have been denied permission to access this folder.”
Why are you not allowed to access the Windows 10 game location? This is because strict administrative permission is required to access it. In normal circumstances, there is no need to access this folder. However, if you wish to open it and move the game installation files to another location, you will need to take ownership of that folder.
How to Access the WindowsApps Folder on Windows 10?
Take Ownership of the WindowsApps Folder
To take ownership of the WindowsApps folder, follow these steps:
- Go to this path: C: > Program Files.
- Click on the “View” tab in the menu bar.
- Check the “Hidden items” option.
- Right-click on the WindowsApps folder and select “Properties.”
- Switch to the “Security” tab.
- Click on “Advanced.”
- Click “Change” next to “Owner: Unable to display current owner.”
- Click “Advanced.”
- Click the “Find Now” button on the “Select User or Group” interface.
- Select your Windows username from the search results.
- Click “OK.”
- Click “OK” on the “Select User or Group” interface.
- Click “Apply.”
- Click “OK.”
- Click “OK” again.
- Finally, click “OK” to save the changes.
Access the WindowsApps Folder
Once you have permission to access the WindowsApps folder, you can open it and perform the desired actions.
How to Remove Installed Apps and Games on PC?
Now that you have access to your installed games and applications, you can easily move them to your desired location. Here’s a simple guide to get you started:
- Press the Windows key and the “I” key simultaneously to open Windows Settings.
- Go to “Apps.”
- Select the game or application you want to move, and then click “Move” to transfer it to the desired location.
How to Change the Default Location for New Games and Apps?
You may have noticed that the installation files for games and apps are saved on the C drive by default. This can consume a significant amount of space on your drive and slow down your computer over time.
To optimize the performance of your computer, you can change the default download and installation location for new games and apps. Here’s what you can do:
- Press “Windows + I” to open Windows Settings.
- Go to “System” > “Storage” > “Change where new content is saved.”
- Click the down arrow button and select an alternative location to save new apps and games.
After reading this article, you should now have a clear understanding of where Microsoft Store installs games and where Steam stores its games. By default, they are all saved in the same location: C: > Program Files > WindowsApps. Additionally, you can find a guide on how to access the WindowsApps folder in this article.
If you have any related questions, feel free to leave a comment below.